Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Dessert Carnival hosted by the house of roses - drop by for a taste


Birthdays
Originally uploaded by avalon8theroses
A Sponge is always a delicious treat for a Birthday Celebration.
Recipe for Elsie's sponge
4 eggs - beat for 4 minutes with a Sunbean mixer (vintage of course)
7/8 cup ( use an old pretty cup with a chip in it) of castor sugar
1 cup corn flour
1 teaspoon ( silver- slightly tarnished old one) of bicarbonate soda
1 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar

Beat eggs, sift flour and dry indrediects twice onto paper.
Fold with a table spoon ever so lightly.
pour into a floured and greased cake tin ( shake excess flour out of tin)
Bake at 400 degrees for approx 20 minutes
Remember not to open the oven and be gentle when you take it out of the oven - cool on wire rack ( an old rickety one of course) in a warm area
Fill withe cream and top with passionfruit icing
Place on a cake stand with doiley underneath and serve to your guests
Enjoy with a cup of tea
For the Dessert carnival hosted by The house in the roses http://www.houseinroses.blogspot.com/

11 comments:

The Vintage Vagablonde said...

That looks scrumptious! I was not so creative but I do have a cute poem to celebrate the day!

Carole Burant said...

I haven't had sponge cake in ages and yours looks so delicious! I love the idea of the whipped cream between the layers and icing on top. Thank you so much for sharing your dessert with us:-) xo

Beverly said...

This looks absolutely divine. And, it sounds delicious.

Come visit me sometime at http://howsweetthesound.typepad.com/

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

I bet that is one tasty cake! And I just love the way you wrote the recipe....too cute!

avalon8theroses said...

Hello there ladies, I will pop over for a visit and a little bite of your cakes too....

Anonymous said...

It has been so much fun visiting new blogs, seeing their fabulous desserts and getting new recipes. I didn't have a sponge cake recipe but I do now. Thank you. The strawberries are just coming in here now and your sponge cake topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream sounds heavenly.

Marina Capano said...

so tasty! nice to meet you!

Anonymous said...

Delicious cake! I think I might try that for my weekend dessert. I do have a question - how does one make the passion fruit icing?

Alison Gibbs said...

Oh what a yummy looking sponge.
Alison

Lola Enchanted said...

Oh my, looks absolutely delicious!
All that creamy goodness in the middle!!! AAhhhhhh, YUM!!!!~

avalon8theroses said...

Passionfruit icing - icing sugar,butter and fresh passionfruit...tinned if not in season.
Yes Yes fresh starwwberries are also delicious.
It was Elsie Fitton's recipe form Rosebud.
Enjoy